Friday, July 16, 2010

Random Thoughts...


Do you ever think back to a time where a childhood hero just rips your heart out, even if it is only for a couple years? A few posts back I stated that I collected Deion Sanders and the "Crime Dog" Fred McGriff. Well, I found my nickname Fred McGriff card and it got me to thinking about how much I loved this guys game up until the trade deadline in 2001.

On July 16th of 2001, Fred McGriff did something that made me happy. He invoked his no trade clause to stay in Tampa after they tried to trade him to the Chicago Cubs. Hooray...he wasn't going to go play with the mortal enemy of my Milwaukee Brewers, or so I thought. Unfortunately 11 days later he ripped my heart out and ended up in Chicago and my collection of the "Crime Dog" stopped. I feel bad cause I really wanted him to hit 500 homers but he fell 7 short and is tied with Lou Gehrig on the all time list with 493.

I have been thinking about this topic a lot lately because of Prince Fielder and his numbered days in Milwaukee. Prince is a huge part of my baseball card collection and if he were to go to the Cubs or Yankees, I don't know if I could still collect him anymore. He is by far my favorite Milwaukee Brewer, however as Brett Favre should have learned...most fans are fans of the name on the front of the jersey or helmet, not the name on back!

Anybody else have a situation similar?

No comments: