Friday, April 23, 2010

Get up...Get up...Get Outta Here....Gone!!!


What can you say about Mr. Baseball that hasn't already been said? Sitting a few rows behind the Brewer dugout on October 4th, 2008 for Game 3 of the 2008 NLDS was magical in itself. Getting to watch Bob Uecker throw out the first pitch at a Brewer playoff game for the first time in 26 years was simply too much. As this was all happening I began to think about my card collection. Here we have a baseball icon, an icon who has been in Milwaukee for years and I don't have any of his cards. I spent many summer nights listening to Uecker's calls from County Stadium while I took fake hacks at pitches in the backyard.

So I decided that night that I would go out and try to hunt down my 1st Bob Uecker baseball card. I didn't think that I would have a hard time finding one, I mean with eBay any card you could possibly imagine is at your fingertips. But as a recent college grad with limited income, the key was finding the right one at the right price. After searching out the years, I couldn't do the 1962 Topps Rookie Parade, because quite frankly I didn't care about the rest of the guys on the card. I had a hard time pulling the trigger on the 1964 Topps, because quite frankly I don't like the Cardinals. So I did what I thought was in the best interest of my collection!

Say hello to my 1963 Topps #126 Bob Uecker. While this card doesn't have the autographs that many do today, it has a special place in my collection. Whenever I look at this card I think about those summer nights in the backyard, and how happy I am to call Bob Uecker our very own!

No comments: